Honors College Engagement Requirements
In the Honors College we strive to build a sense of community, the kind you get at a small liberal arts college, but with all the resources of a major public university. Our events, workshops, and activities are all designed with the purpose of enriching your life and giving you an experience that transcends mere classroom learning. We hope that you will take advantage of all these opportunities to learn and grow.
Honors College students are required to accumulate at least 20 engagement points each academic year (Fall and Spring) by attending Honors College activities. These points are separate from the 20 community service hours required. Students attending only one semester (Fall or Spring) are required to accumulate 10 engagement points.
Each activity has a point value. Students may select which events and activities they want to attend. The new system is designed to be more flexible, with events at various times and a variety of ways to meet the requirements. The point value of an event will be noted on emails and flyers when it is promoted.
All students must fulfill the annual requirement. Exceptions will be granted only in extreme cases.
Students can track their points at http://myhonors.fiu.edu.
For a general breakdown, see the value table below:
|Club Meeting||1 (max of 5)|
|HEARTS Event (all types)||2|
|Other (Specific HC Sponsored Event)||2|
|Office and Labs (DM 233 & OE 165) Visits||10 visits = 1 (max of 1)|
|Library Study Room (GL 310A) Visits||10 visits = 1 (max of 1)|
- All students must fulfill the annual requirement. Exceptions will be granted only in extreme cases.
- Students must arrive at the activities on time. After 10 minutes, they will be turned away at the door.
- Students can track their points at http://myhonors.fiu.edu.
- A limited number of ONLINE activities will be offered each semester.
- We encourage students to earn as many points as they can. At the end of each academic year, the top ten point earners will be recognized on the Dean’s Citizenship List.
- Honors Hours Honors Hours provide informational sessions, social and entertainment opportunities, and workshops to expand your undergraduate experience. Each Honors Hour session has a 3-point value. For a full list of Honors Hours for the current semester, go to http://honors.fiu.edu/events. If you have ideas for Honors Hours workshops you would like to see, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Colloquia Every semester we invite FIU faculty to give presentations on topics of interest. Each Colloquium has a 4-point value. For a full list of Colloquia for the current semester, go to http://honors.fiu.edu/events or log on to MyHonors.