All Honors College students must complete at least 20 volunteer service hours per academic year (fall/spring). (These hours DO NOT count toward the 20 citizenship points).
An important part of being a member of the Honors College is demonstrating leadership by serving the extended community.
The best way to be involved is by working with the City of Sweetwater via our unique Honors College-Sweetwater Partnership. Opportunities there include tutoring, working with the Senior Citizens’ Center, offering citizenship classes, and helping the Li’l Abner Foundation’s work with children.
Other opportunities include working with virtually any non-profit organization and campus fundraising projects. For more information, contact the Coordinator of Student Programs at 305-348-4100.
Documenting your Community Service Hours
Log on to MyHonors to record your service hours.
Honors College Citizenship Requirements
Honors College students are required to accumulate at least 20 citizenship points each academic year (Fall and Spring) by attending Honors College activities. Students attending only one semester (Fall or Spring) are required to accumulate 10 citizenship points. Each activity has a point value. Students may select which events and activities they want to attend. The new system is designed to be more flexible, with events at various times and a variety of ways to meet the requirements. The point value of an event will be noted on emails and flyers when it is promoted. For a general breakdown, see the value table below.
|Club Meeting||1 (max of 5)|
|HEARTS Event (all types)||2|
|Other (Specific HC Sponsored Event)||2|
|Library Study Room (GL 310A) Visits||10 visits = 1 (max of 1)|
- ** There will be a few online events to choose from as well.
- All students must fulfill the annual requirement. Exceptions will be granted only in extreme cases.
- Students must arrive at the activities on time. After 10 minutes, they will be turned away at the door.
- Students can track their points at http://myhonors.fiu.edu.
- We encourage students to earn as many points as they can. At the end of each academic year, the top ten point earners will be recognized on the Dean’s Citizenship List.
- Honors Hours Honors Hours provide informational sessions, social and entertainment opportunities, and workshops to expand your undergraduate experience. Each Honors Hour session has a 3-point value. For a full list of Honors Hours for the current semester, go to http://honors.fiu.edu/events. If you have ideas for Honors Hours workshops you would like to see, email us at email@example.com.
- Colloquia Every semester we invite FIU faculty to give presentations on topics of interest. Each Colloquium has a 4-point value. For a full list of Colloquia for the current semester, go to http://honors.fiu.edu/events or log on to MyHonors.