Cambodia & Vietnam 2018:
Their Place in American History
2018 registration is now open!
Mondays-Fridays from 9:00am to 4:30pm
VERY IMPORTANT: New set of policies for Honors Study Abroad Programs! PLEASE check them at the bottom of the page.
Destinations: Bangkok, Angkor Wat, Ho Chi Minh City, and Hanoi
Dates: May 8 – June 10, 2018
Approximate Cost: The estimated cost of the program is $2,400 which includes accommodations, airport transfer, entrance fees to cultural tours, visas for Cambodia and Vietnam, breakfasts, service learning experience, tour guides, and transportation between cities included in the trip. It does not include the $175 non-refundable study abroad fee, FIU tuition for the course credits, round-trip airfare between Miami and Bangkok, most meals, personal expenses, our guide gratuities, passport and visa fees, and other necessary documents as well as vaccinations, if needed.
Housing: Students participating in the Honors College Cambodia and Vietnam Program will be housed in local hotels.
Cambodia & Vietnam: Their Place in American History
Spring On campus – Thursdays, 7:30am – 10:10am: IDH 4007 – Cambodia & Vietnam: Their Place in American History (3 credits)
Summer A Abroad: IDH 4008 – Cambodia & Vietnam: Their Place in American History (3 credits)
The program fulfills one year of Honors credit requirements (6.)
Program Director: Harry Roberge – firstname.lastname@example.org.
About the Program Director: Harry Roberge, a Vietnam War veteran working as an interpreter and translator for the Army during the war, has been living and working in SE Asia for 13 years. He has traveled extensively through Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand, the Philippines and Indonesia. He is currently directing an NGO sponsoring the education of underprivileged Cambodian children. He has spent the last 7 years introducing people to SE Asian history and culture by acting as a guide for small groups wishing to get an inside view of the uniqueness of each country, its people, culture, and the role these countries have played in the geopolitical history of the United States, the Soviet Union and China. As the facilitator for the Honors Vietnam-Cambodia Study Abroad Program, he has introduced FIU students to the region’s beauty, cultural aspects and history through lectures, movies, literature and music. He has also supervised the service project of the program, through which students teach English to future Cambodian teachers at the teacher training college in Siem Reap, Cambodia.
Works on a first come, first served basis!
Follow these instructions:
- Bring your current Degree Audit printed out and $250.00 money order or cashier’s check made out to FIU to DM 233. These are the Honors College administrative fees. This payment will secure you a spot in your program of choice. It is non-refundable, and constitutes a serious commitment to the program. Registration will remain opened from Monday through Friday (8:30am-4:30pm) until the programs are full.
- You will get a receipt, instructions on how to apply online, and the Class Registration Form. You will also have to sign a form
- Apply online
- Upload the Class Registration Form to abroad.fiu.edu
- The non-refundable $175 OSA administrative fee will be charged with your first payment.
- Below is the schedule of payments** to be followed after you secured your spot with your initial $250 fee:
SCHEDULE OF PAYMENTS:
**If you fail to make your first payment by the October 1st deadline, you will forfeit your paid administrative fees.
***Non-refundable after February 14, 2018
After you’ve secured your spot at DM 233, make your three payments at Student Financials (SASC Building 1st Floor,) same way you pay for your regular classes. In order to make sure the payment goes towards the program, we strongly recommend you go in person. The charges will be posted 15 days prior to the deadline or earlier.
NOTE: LATE FEES APPLY.
Make an educated decision! Watch the Vietbodia Honors Hour HERE! (It’s the second presentation after Costa Rica)
For information about Study Abroad scholarships, please contact the Office of Study Abroad (SASC 230) at 305.348.1913 or at email@example.com.
For other questions, please contact Luli Szeinblum at 305.348.1620 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
|NEW STUDY ABROAD POLICIES:
Note: IDH 4007 is the pre-trip class on campus, and IDH 4008 is the actual class abroad.Payments:
– Students that do not comply with the payment due dates stated on my.fiu.edu, Financials section, will be charged by the university a late fee of $100.00.- Students that fail to complete payments within 2 weeks after the deadline will not be allowed to participate in IDH 4008. Refunds will NOT be awarded.
– ALL Office of Study Abroad (OSA) required documentation must be uploaded to abroad.fiu.edu by December 15, 2017, 11:59pm, for summer 2018 programs and August 1, 2017, 11:59pm, for winter break session 2017 programs (Honors Costa Rica). Students who do not comply with the deadline will not be allowed to participate in IDH 4008. Refunds will NOT be awarded.- The documentation required by OSA is at abroad.fiu.edu. It includes: Medical Form, Course Registration Form, copy of valid passport, and four questionnaires: 1) personal information form, 2) emergency contact form, 3) special needs form, and 4) financial information form.
– The Medical Form is valid for only one year as of the date it is signed by a physician licensed in the United States and cannot expire before the end of the trip.
– Passport must remain valid for at least 6 months after the last day of the trip.
– Students that do not have a valid passport by the deadline mentioned above must instead submit proof that the passport application/renewal process has been initiated, and must replace it with a copy of their actual passport no later than the end of IDH 4007. If they fail to comply by the deadline, they will not be allowed to participate in IDH 4008. Refunds will NOT be awarded.
– Students must clear any existing holds by April 30, 2018 (and December 1, 2017, for Costa Rica.) Students that fail to comply by the deadline will not be allowed to participate in IDH 4008. Refunds will NOT be awarded.
– A minimum grade of C in IDH 4007 is required to be enrolled in IDH 4008. Refunds will NOT be awarded.
– Students studying abroad are expected to represent the Honors College and FIU honorably and maturely. The faculty director and/or staff are authorized to end the trip early for students whose behavior becomes disruptive (and/or whose behavior violates the Student Code of Conduct), and the student risks dismissal from the Honors College in accordance with the posted dismissal policy for misconduct.
– By signing up to participate in a study abroad program, students are assuming all the above-mentioned responsibilities and are committing to comply with them without further notices.