Honors Equivalency

Honors courses may be used to fulfill various major and degree requirements.  Below is a list of specific areas in which Honors courses will substitute a requirement.  If a specific school or major is not named, the Honors courses will still count toward electives to fulfill the 120* credit degree requirement. In order to receive an UCC  or Global Learning equivalency, students must pass and complete the Honors course that is listed as the equivalency (substitutions cannot be made).  Students who finish an entire year of Honors course work, but subsequently exit the Honors College early, are still eligible for the equivalency.

Honors Course Equivalencies 

Honors CourseEquivalent
IDH 1931
First Year Experience (SLS 1501)
IDH 1001Arts
IDH 1002Humanities (Group Two) & Gordon Rule Writing
IDH 2003Social Science (Group Two) & GL Foundations
IDH 2004GL Foundations & Lower Division Elective
IDH 3034GL Discipline Specific & Upper Division Elective
IDH 3035GL Discipline Specific & Upper Division Elective

Upper-Division Course Equivalencies By Major

College of Arts, Sciences & Education

Honors courses count toward upper-division elective credit needed to graduate for all majors.


College of Business

Upper-division Honors courses (3000+) may count toward upper-division business electives.  Please see a College of Business Advisor to update the degree audit.

(For students admitted prior to Fall 2016: IDH 3034-3035 sequence may have been used to substitute for COM 3150).


School of Architecture

For students in the accelerated master’s program, Honors courses will count for two categories of general education: Environmental Context and Creative Context, see grid below for details.

General Education CategoryCourse to be SubstitutedHonors Course
Environmental ContextEVR 1017 The Global Environment and SocietyIDH 1001
 Creative ContextThree credits chosen from approved courses:  ARH 2050/1, ART 2300/2500/2750IDH 1002

School of Communication + Journalism

Upper-division Honors courses (3000+) will count for the Area of Concentration.  Please see an SCJ advisor to update the degree audit.


* Most majors require a minimum of 120 credits to graduate, some require more.  Check with your individual major, college, or school to ensure the minimum is not higher.  For example, most engineering majors will need about 130 credits minimum.