Grand Tour Redux
READ THE GUIDELINES TO SECURE YOUR SPOT and the 2020 Honors Study Abroad Programs policies at the bottom of the page!
Rome, Pompeii, Florence, Pisa, Siena, Cinque Terre, and Venice – an Honors College seminar taught on location in the most historic and magical destinations in Italy. Grand Tour Redux is built on the premise that understanding our past enables us to understand ourselves. This interdisciplinary course examines the cultural legacy of classical antiquity and the Renaissance and the influence of these eras on the contemporary world. The seminar reconstructs the traditional 18th century Grans Tour. Students will reflect on the contemporary and personal relevance of Italian culture in the 21st century world. Do Roman republican morals guide US civic principles? Do Renaissance notions of individual autonomy define our own? Does Venetian capitalism serve as a model for US business practices? Students will walk in the steps of Julius Caesar in the Roman Forum, witness the catastrophic consequences of the eruption of Mount Vesuvius, visualize Michelangelo painting the Sistine Chapel, visit the architectural marvels of Florence, and cross the Bridge of Sighs in Venice. The course recreates history through telling the story of individuals and relating those stories to our own times. Be there to meet Julius Caesar, Augustus, Hadrian, St. Peter, Marco Polo, Dante, Lorenzo de Medici, Michelangelo, Machiavelli, Galileo, and Gentilleschi. Housed primarily in apartments, students will have the experience of living in Italy. “All paths lead to Rome,” or do they?
Make an educated decision! Check out the October 15, 2019 Study Abroad Honors Hour on the Italy program HERE!
Rome, Pompeii, Napoli, Florence, Pisa, Siena, Cinque Terre, and Venice.
May 4, 2020-June 2, 2020
LEVEL OF PHYSICAL ACTIVITY:
The cost of the 2020 Italy program is $3,100. This includes ground transportation, housing accommodations, admission to required museums and sites, and mandatory insurance. Program costs DO NOT include: $350 Honors College fee, $175 Study Abroad non-refundable fee, FIU instructional fee (6 credits, $205.57 per credit), airfare, meals, and personal expenses (including out-of-class transportation).
Students participating in the FIU Honors College Italy Program must register for the 3 credit hour pre-trip seminar in the Spring 2019 term at the Modesto A. Maidique campus, and the 3 credit hour “in-country” course in the Summer A 2019 term in Italy. While in Italy, students are lectured in the field by Professor John Bailly, give two Sense of Place presentations, and complete a Grand Tour project.
Students participating in the Honors College Italy Program will be housed in centrally located fully furnished apartments in Rome and Florence. In Cinque Terre, students will lodge in a mountain sanctuary overlooking the Italian Riviera for four nights. Breakfast and dinner are included at the sanctuary. In Venice, students will stay in a Bed and Breakfast.
Italy: Grand Tour Redux
Spring On Campus – Fridays 12:30PM-3:15PM: IDH 4007—Italy: Grand Tour (3 credits)
Abroad: IDH 4008—Italy: Grand Tour (3 credits)
The program fulfills one year of Honors credit requirements (6.)
John Bailly – email@example.com
ABOUT THE PROGRAM DIRECTOR:
Professor John Bailly was born in Slough, Buckinghamshire, England of a French father and American mother, and lives in France during the summer. He received his MFA in painting and printmaking from Yale University in 1993, and is a Fellow of the Honors College. Based in Miami, his work has been exhibited at several institutions in the US. He founded and directs the Honors College Aesthetics & Values Art Exhibition class.
How do we secure our spot and keep it? It works on a first-come, first-served basis!
Follow these instructions:
Current Honors Students interested in securing a spot for a 2020 study abroad program:
- Get clearance from your Honors advisor. For STEM students, your advisors are Brenda Luna (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Patric Hambleton (email@example.com.) Non-STEM students must see Grisel d’Elena (firstname.lastname@example.org.) Call 305-348-4100 and ask for an advising appointment. Indicate it is regarding Study Abroad. You must have an advisor’s clearance when you go see Luli to secure your spot!
- Once you’ve been cleared, email Luli (email@example.com) to schedule a registration appointment, specifying your PID and program of choice
- On the date of your appointment, bring to DM 233 a $350.00 money order or cashier’s check (ONLY) made out to FIU. These are the Honors College administrative fees. This payment will secure you a spot in your program of choice. It is non-refundable, and constitutes a serious commitment to the program
- The registration process includes a group contract-signing session and online application. Calculate around 2 hours for the whole process
- You will be officially registered once you complete all 3 steps (registration & payment, online application, and contract-signing)
Newly Admitted Students interested in securing a spot for a 2020 study abroad program:
- Email Luli (firstname.lastname@example.org) to schedule a registration appointment, including your Panther ID number and program of choice
- Follow the instructions on the third bullet above
- Make sure together with the $350 you bring to the session a copy of the unofficial transcripts from the institution you are coming from and a copy of the Honors letter/email of acceptance
- You can register for study abroad only once you get your first FIU GPA, assuming there are still spots available. Otherwise, you’ll have to wait until the 2021 registration opens in April
- In order to keep your good standing with the program, comply with the Honors Study Abroad Policies and deadlines at the bottom of this page
- The Office of Study Abroad (OSA) charges a non-refundable $195 administrative fee. It will be posted along with your second payment and they can be paid together
Below is the schedule of payments to be followed after you secured your spot with your initial $350 fee:
Schedule of Payments:
|*Non-refundable||*Non-refundable||**Non-ref. if canceled after Feb 14, 2020|
**Non-refundable after February 14, 2020
After you’ve secured your spot at DM 233, make your 3 payments at Student Financials (SASC Building 1st Floor.) In order to make sure the payment goes towards the program and NOT to cover other balances you may have, we strongly recommend you pay in person. Make sure to tell the cashier you are paying your Honors Study Abroad program, and which one is it (E.g. Honors Japan program, Honors UK program, etc.) The charges will be posted to your my.fiu.edu account approximately 21 days prior to the deadline or earlier.
NOTE: LATE FEES APPLY.