Miami España: Ida y Vuelta
READ THE GUIDELINES TO SECURE YOUR SPOT and the 2020 Honors Study Abroad Programs policies at the bottom of the page!
The history of the Spanish-American transatlantic dialogue is both ruinous and enriching. With an emphasis on Miami, this course examines the social and cultural manifestations of this relationship. What impact has Spanish religion, art, and popular tradition had on the Americas from 1492 to the present (ida)? Conversely, what has returned to Spain from Latin America (vuelta)? How specifically has this melange manifested itself in Miami, positioned as the contemporary center of European and Latin American relations?
Reflecting on the sacred (Catholicism, language, art) and the profane (futbol, tapas, paseo), students will develop unique cultural perspectives based on study and experience. After a semester exploring the Spanish influence on the Americas in Miami, students will spend three weeks in Madrid, Sevilla, and Barcelona studying Spanish culture and searching for American manifestations in Spain. In addition the class will make day trips to Segovia, Toledo, El Escorial, and Montserrat.
Make an educated decision! Check the October 23 Study Abroad Honors Hour on the France, Italy, and Spain programs, HERE!
WHAT DOES IT COST?
WHAT IS INCLUDED?
– Some meals
– Local Transportation
– Group visits, activities
– Museums, etc.
WHAT IS NOT INCLUDED?
– $350 Honors College administrative fee
– $175 Office of Study Abroad fee
– FIU tuition
– Passport, and other necessary documents
– Vaccinations if needed
– Personal expenses
HOW DOES IT WORK?
There is a spring course component (3 credits.) The trip is during Summer C (3 credits.) These 6 credits fulfill one year of Honors College requirements.
Miami España: Ida y Vuelta
Spring On Campus – Fridays, 9:30AM – 12:15PM: IDH 4007—Miami España: Ida y Vuelta
Abroad: IDH 4008—Miami España: Ida y Vuelta (3 credits)
WHEN WILL YOU TAKE THE PRE-TRIP CLASS?
This Spring semester: January to May, 2019
WHEN WILL YOU GO ON THE TRIP?
Summer C: June 3, 2020-June 29, 2020
WHAT IS THE FOCUS?
Culture, Transatlantic Dialogue, History, Art, Culinary History, Sports.
WHAT WILL YOU DO?
Activities: Historic walks, Hiking, On site lectures, Swim.
WHAT WILL YOU LEARN?
History, Cultural Relations
WHERE WILL YOU GO?
Destinations: Madrid, Barcelona, Sevilla, Toledo, Montserrat, Segovia, El Escorial
WHO WILL BE INTERESTED?
Great for students with interests in exploring and fostering cultural heritage.
John Bailly – email@example.com
ABOUT THE PROGRAM DIRECTOR:
Professor John Bailly was born in Slough, Buckinghamshire, England of a French father and American mother, and lives in France during the summer. He received his MFA in painting and printmaking from Yale University in 1993, and is a Fellow of the Honors College. Based in Miami, his work has been exhibited at several institutions in the US. He founded and directs the Honors College Aesthetics & Values Art Exhibition class.
How do we secure our spot and keep it? It works on a first-come, first-served basis!
Follow these instructions:
- Get clearance to do the program from one of our Honors Academic Advisors. For STEM students, your advisors are Brenda Luna (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Patric Hambleton (email@example.com.) Non-STEM students must see Grisel d’Elena (firstname.lastname@example.org.) Call 305-348-4100 and ask for an advising appointment. Indicate it is regarding Study Abroad. You must have an advisor’s clearance when you go see Luli to secure your spot!
- Bring to DM 233 a $350.00 money order or cashier’s check (ONLY) made out to FIU. These are the Honors College administrative fees. This payment will secure you a spot in your program of choice. It is non-refundable, and constitutes a serious commitment to the program
- You will apply online, get a receipt, and the Class Registration Form. You will also have to sign a contract.
- The Office of Study Abroad (OSA) charges a non-refundable $175 administrative fee. It will be posted along with your second payment and they can be paid together.
- In order to keep your good standing with the program, comply with the Honors Study Abroad Policies and deadlines at the bottom of this page.
Below is the schedule of payments to be followed after you secured your spot with your initial $350 fee:
Schedule of Payments:
|*Non-refundable||*Non-refundable||**Non-ref. if canceled after Feb 14, 2020|
**Non-refundable after February 14, 2020
After you’ve secured your spot at DM 233, make your 3 payments at Student Financials (SASC Building 1st Floor.) In order to make sure the payment goes towards the program and NOT to cover other balances you may have, we strongly recommend you pay in person. Make sure to tell the cashier you are paying your Honors Study Abroad program, and which one is it (E.g. Honors Japan program, Honors UK program, etc.) The charges will be posted to your my.fiu.edu account approximately 21 days prior to the deadline or earlier.
NOTE: LATE FEES APPLY.
Registration will remain open from Monday through Friday (9:30am-4:30pm) until the programs are full.
For information about Study Abroad Scholarships, please contact the Office of Study Abroad (SASC 230) at 305.348.1913 or at email@example.com.