This program allows second-year Honors College pre-medical students to be considered for guaranteed admission to the Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine (HWCOM). For those students chosen, the program will also provide mentoring and educational enrichment throughout their junior and senior years.
HWCOM EAP Application: Due March 31, 2020
All letters of Recommendation: Due April 17, 2020
I. To apply, a student must:
- Be a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident
- Be enrolled in the Honors College at FIU
- Have a minimum of 60 completed credits, including at least 24 credits from FIU
- Have a minimum of 2 semesters enrolled in the Honors College
- Apply in the spring semester of sophomore year
- Complete at FIUat least one Biology course at FIU and three additional courses in Biology, Chemistry, Physics, and/or Math (BCPM)
- Have a 3.6 overall GPA, and a 3.5 Biology, Chemistry, Physics, and Math GPA (BCPM)
- Submit two letters of recommendation directly to the Honors College EAP advisor (firstname.lastname@example.org): One from a science faculty member and one from an Honors College faculty member. An optional letter from a health care provider with whom a student has volunteered, shadowed, or been employed will also be accepted. (A letter from the Honors College Dean will be provided if the student completes a successful interview with the Honors College EAP Committee.)
- Be in good academic standing, with no disciplinary actions and demonstrated professionalism.
- Students must apply directly to the Honors College EAP Committee by March 31st. Applications are submitted online at: https://eap.medicine.fiu.edu.
- The Honors College EAP Committee will review applications and schedule interviews. Only the most competitive students, as determined by the Committee, are offered interviews. The number of applicants invited for interview will be limited. Interviews will take place after Spring term grades are available.
- Applications recommended by the Honors College will be reviewed by the HWCOM EAP Admissions Committee, which will choose candidates for interviews.
III. HWCOM Admissions Interviews
HWCOM will select candidates for an interview with its EAP Committee. During interviews, candidates will be evaluated for such qualities as empathy, integrity, temperament, self-confidence, and resourcefulness. Applicants will also be asked questions to determine their suitability for a career in medicine. These may prove the applicant’s:
- Motivation for medicine
- Breadth of educational interests and accomplishments
- Extracurricular activities and evidence of service to others
- Self-awareness and insight into issues facing physicians today
After all EAP interviews have been completed, the HWCOM Admissions Committee will vote on applications. Up to 10 candidates will be guaranteed conditional acceptance into the designated entering class at HWCOM. This acceptance is contingent upon the candidate maintaining academic and personal standards.
V. Requirements to progress to medical school:
- Complete all HWCOM prerequisites courses for admission
- Participate in required programs and activities sponsored by HWCOM and the FIU Honors College
- Meet with an FIU Honors College EAP advisor at least once each semester
- Have a continued endorsement from the Dean
- Take the MCAT by the stated deadline of the application year and score a minimum of 505. Note: The MCAT must be taken no later than July of the year prior to matriculation at HWCOM
- Maintain a minimum overall GPA of 3.6 and a minimum BCPM GPA of 3.5
- Provide evidence of the following:
- Professional behavior/leadership
- Community service
- Clinical training
- Enriching qualities – desirable characteristics and behaviors in a physician, beyond grades and the MCAT
- Research ability
- Participate in the HWCOM mentoring program for students in the Early Assurance Program.
1. Submit an application to the American Medical College Application Service® (AMCAS) no later than July 1 of the year prior to matriculation at HWCOM (The MCAT score can be pending if student took the MCAT in June or July)
2. Complete the bachelor’s degree and all required courses prior to matriculation
3. Meet all technical standards: https://medicine.fiu.edu/academics/degrees-and-programs/doctor-of-medicine/admissions/what-to-know-before-you-apply/technical-standards/index.html
4. Meet all pre-matriculation requirements, including health/vaccination documentation, drug testing, Level II background check, etc.
VI. Matriculation Agreement
Accepted EAP candidates must acknowledge their intent to matriculate at HWCOM in writing within 2 weeks of their acceptance. This constitutes an agreement with HWCOM that they will not pursue admission to any other medical school(s). Accepted EAP students who apply to any other medical school will forfeit their guaranteed acceptance to HWCOM. They may apply to HWCOM via the normal process through AMCAS, but will not be granted any special rights, privileges, or guarantees. Students not accepted into the EAP may also apply to HWCOM through the normal application process.