Your safety matters most
*Scroll to the bottom for FAQs*
As students traveling on behalf of the Honors College at Florida International University, your safety is the upmost priority. FIU monitors the State Department Country Specific Information and Travel Advisories and the Centers for Disease Control Department to ensure student safety.
If circumstances change and the State Department issues a travel advisory for any country to which students are traveling to, FIU may, in its sole discretion, terminate the study abroad program and require students' immediate return to the United States.
All students traveling abroad are enrolled in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP).
- Receive important information from the Embassy about safety conditions in your destination country, helping you make informed decisions about your travel plans.
- Help the U.S. Embassy contact you in an emergency, whether natural disaster, civil unrest, or family emergency.
- Help family and friends get in touch with you in an emergency.
All students traveling abroad are covered under FIU's International Travel Insurance. The insurance coverage includes:
- Prior to Departure:
- Call an Assistance Centre for free pretravel information (i.e. vaccination, required medication and travel security concerns)
- Sign up for health and security email alerts
- While Abroad:
- Free and unlimited health, safety, and security advice
- Find a local nurse, internationally trained doctor or security specialist near you
- Find medication or medical equipment
- Travel advice on loss of travel documents or legal assistance
- In an Emergency:
- Arranging medical transportation and care
- Monitoring your condition
- Evacuation when necessary
Resources available to students:
As Honors College students, the highest standards are expected in terms of behavior, academics, and engagement. Students on Honors College Study Abroad and Study USA programs are ambassadors of FIU and the Honors College. It is expected that students represent the Honors College and FIU honorably and maturely.