Your safety matters most
*Scroll to the bottom for FAQs*
As students traveling on behalf of the Honors College at Florida International University, your safety is the upmost priority. FIU monitors the State Department Country Specific Information and Travel Advisories and the Centers for Disease Control Department to ensure student safety.
If circumstances change and the State Department issues a travel advisory for any country to which students are traveling to, FIU may, in its sole discretion, terminate the study abroad program and require students' immediate return to the United States.
All students traveling abroad are enrolled in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP).
- Receive important information from the Embassy about safety conditions in your destination country, helping you make informed decisions about your travel plans.
- Help the U.S. Embassy contact you in an emergency, whether natural disaster, civil unrest, or family emergency.
- Help family and friends get in touch with you in an emergency.
All students traveling abroad are covered under FIU's International Travel Insurance. The insurance coverage includes:
- Prior to Departure:
- Call an Assistance Centre for free pretravel information (i.e. vaccination, required medication and travel security concerns)
- Sign up for health and security email alerts
- While Abroad:
- Free and unlimited health, safety, and security advice
- Find a local nurse, internationally trained doctor or security specialist near you
- Find medication or medical equipment
- Travel advice on loss of travel documents or legal assistance
- In an Emergency:
- Arranging medical transportation and care
- Monitoring your condition
- Evacuation when necessary
Resources available to students:
As Honors College students, the highest standards are expected in terms of behavior, academics, and engagement. Students on Honors College Study Abroad and Study USA programs are ambassadors of FIU and the Honors College. It is expected that students represent the Honors College and FIU honorably and maturely.
2023 Honors College Study Abroad Contract
By registering to study abroad, I commit to making my payments on time, to complying with the requirements on time, and to remaining with the program. Refunds are not awarded, and switching programs is not allowed.
- IDH 4007 is the pre-travel class on campus; IDH 4008 is the class abroad.
- Deadline dates that fall on weekends and/or holidays are NOT moved to the next business date.
I am aware that before I secure my spot, I must (1) complete, initialize, and sign this contract, (2) apply online at abroad.fiu.edu, and (3) apply online at https://honors.fiu.edu/studyabroad/applications/. My documentation will be subject to approval.
I am aware that I must upload ALL Office of Education Abroad (OEA) required documentation to abroad.fiu.edu by NOVEMBER 18, 2022, 11:59PM. If I fail to comply by the deadline, I will not be allowed to participate in IDH 4007 and/or IDH 4008, or travel with the program. Refunds will NOT be awarded. Posted charges will not be removed
I am aware that the documentation required by OEA includes the Medical Form, copy of valid passport, Course Registration Form, and four questionnaires: 1) personal information form, 2) emergency contact form, 3) special needs form, and 4) financial information form.
I am aware that the Medical Form is valid for only one year as of the date it is signed by a physician licensed in the United States and cannot expire before the end of the program.
I am aware that students are strongly encouraged to review vaccination requirements, including against COVID-19, for countries they plan to visit. Failure to abide by vaccination requirements may prevent a student from entering a country and continuing participation in the Study Abroad program, in which case, refunds will NOT be awarded. FIU provides many vaccinations, including against COVID-19, for students on campus. (Read this: U.S. Citizens, U.S. Nationals, U.S. Lawful Permanent Residents, and Immigrants: Travel to and from the United States | CDC)
I am aware that my passport must remain valid for at least 6 months after the last day of the program.
I am aware that if I do not have a valid passport by the deadline mentioned above, I must instead submit proof that the passport application/renewal process has been initiated and must replace it with a copy of my actual passport no later than APRIL 14, 2023. If I fail to comply by the deadline, I will not be allowed to participate in IDH 4008, or travel with the program. Refunds will NOT be awarded. Posted charges will not be removed
I am aware that I must clear any existing holds by NOVEMBER 18, 2022, 11:59PM and again by MARCH 6, 2023, and I am responsible for ensuring that I have no new holds before I am enrolled in both IDH 4007* and/or IDH 4008*. If I fail to comply by the deadlines, I will not be allowed to participate in the program. Refunds will NOT be awarded. Posted charges will not be removed.
*If I have a hold on my account, I cannot be enrolled for classes.
I am aware that while taking the IDH 4007 class, I will have to complete the online mandatory pre-departure orientation on the study abroad application portal. I am aware that I must complete the session and associated quizzes, sign the paperwork, and upload it to my application at the abroad.fiu.edu portal by MARCH 6, 2023, 11:59pm.
I am aware that the faculty leader and/or support staff do not administer medical care or provide medication.
I am aware that if getting tested for COVID-19 were to be required for flying, I am expected to limit my exposure once tested. Should I contract COVID-19, I will have to abide by the rules of both the airline and my country of destination. It will be my responsibility to keep myself healthy and able to participate in my program. If I am not allowed to go as a result of having exposed myself, or if my departure gets delayed, I will be responsible for the extra charges, refunds will NOT be awarded, and posted charges will not be removed
I am aware that in order to participate in an Honors study abroad program, I must maintain a minimum cumulative FIU GPA of 3.3. If I fail to comply, I will not be allowed to participate in IDH 4007 and/or IDH 4008. Refunds will NOT be awarded. Posted charges will not be removed
I am aware that to be enrolled in IDH 4008, or travel with the program, I must receive a grade no lower than C in IDH 4007. If I cannot be enrolled, refunds will NOT be awarded and posted charges will not be removed.
I am aware that I can enroll in a maximum of 18 credits per semester. If I want to go above that amount, I must get this form signed by my major’s Dean no later than DECEMBER 1, 2022, 11:59pm for Spring 2023 classes and MARCH 15, 2023, 11:59pm for Summer 2023 classes and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
I am aware that if I have been sanctioned under the FIU Student Conduct and Honor Code (https://regulations.fiu.edu/docs=257), which results in loss of privileges, and/or other sanctions that result in my not being considered to be in good standing with the University (e.g., conduct probation), I will not be eligible to participate in IDH 4008 or travel with the program. Refunds will NOT be awarded. Posted charges will not be removed.
I am aware that if I am found responsible for an Academic Misconduct Violation, I will be dismissed from the Honors College upon notification of findings and will not be allowed to participate in, or travel with the program. Refunds will NOT be awarded. Posted charges will not be removed.
I am aware that I am expected to represent the Honors College and FIU honorably and maturely. The faculty director and/or staff are authorized to end my program early if my behavior becomes disruptive (and/or violates the FIU Student Conduct and Honor Code.)
I am aware that once I schedule an appointment to register to study abroad, I must secure my spot with the Honors College with a blank, non-refundable $500 cashier’s check or money order (ONLY,) and all the required documentation.
I am aware that study abroad payments are non-refundable and are made in 3 installments. The OEA will post the charges on my account approximately 3 weeks before each payment deadline. Once the charges are posted, they cannot be removed.
I am aware that if I secure my spot after charges for an installment(s) have been posted my overdue payments will be added to the next deadline’s charges.
I am aware that I am responsible to ensure with Student Financials that any payment made towards my study abroad program is indeed applied to that program.
I am aware that if I am paying my program fee through a scholarship or Financial Aid, it is still my responsibility to have the payments made on time and in their entirety. Therefore, it is my responsibility to contact Financial Aid to ensure they will be complying. If any delays are foreseen, it is my responsibility to notify the Honors College of the situation before the deadline. If my aid/scholarship will not cover the full amount due, it is my responsibility to pay the remaining balance out of pocket. If I fail to comply, I will not be enrolled on the program. Refunds will NOT be awarded. Posted charges will not be removed.
I am aware that payments must be made no later than the deadline published at honors.fiu.edu/studyabroad, “Payments” tab (December 1, 2022 and February 1, 2023). If I fail to make them on time, the university will apply a $100.00 late fee to my account. Late fees cannot be removed.
I am aware that after each payment deadline there is a one-week grace period, an extended deadline, when payments are still accepted. However, the late fee will still be applied, and I could get a hold on my account*. If I fail to complete my payment within exactly that one-week grace period, and had not notified the Honors College in advance, I will be withdrawn from the program and will not be allowed to participate in IDH 4007 and/or IDH 4008 or travel with the program, depending on the time the payment was missed. Refunds will NOT be awarded. Posted charges and late fees will not be removed.
*Students with holds on their accounts cannot be enrolled for classes.
I am aware that if I am paying my program’s tuition through a scholarship or Financial Aid, it is still my responsibility to have the payments made on time and in their entirety. Therefore, it is my responsibility to contact Financial Aid to ensure they will be complying. If any delays are foreseen by Financial Aid, it is my responsibility to pay the balance out of pocket by FEB 1, 2023, 11:59pm for IDH 4007 and by MARCH 28, 2023, 11:59pm for IDH 4008. If I fail to comply, I will not be allowed to participate. Refunds will NOT be awarded. Posted charges will not be removed.
I am aware that I must pay OEA’S $195 fee by MARCH 1, 2023, 11:59pm. If I fail to comply, I will not be allowed to participate. Refunds will NOT be awarded. Posted charges will not be removed.
I am aware that FIU and the Honors College strongly discourage making big purchases, such as airline tickets, before the programs are confirmed by OEA. If canceled, FIU cannot refund these, or any other expenses related to the programs not paid directly to FIU.
Switching, Withdrawals, and Cancellations:
I am aware that once I registered switching programs is not allowed. If I still want to change programs, I will have to withdraw from the initial one, first, with no refunds. Then I would need to secure my spot in the new program, pay the $500 deposit again, and complete all the new program’s missing payments. Permission to apply for the second program is at the full discretion of the Honors College.
I am aware that withdrawal from a program will only be permitted for medical reasons. In order to request a medical withdrawal, I must provide appropriate medical documentation from a physician licensed in the United States. Otherwise, I will remain responsible for all charges.
I am aware that if I am dropped from a program for lack of payment, lack of documentation, or due to FIU Student Conduct and Honor Code sanctions, I will still be responsible for the charges already posted to my account. That balance will still be due.
I am aware that FIU and/or the Honors College reserve the right to cancel study abroad programs—the only case in which a refund will be made. The refund will cover the program’s cost and the $500 deposit. Late fees will not be refunded or removed. I will be responsible for fees or losses incurred in cancelling or changing my airfare ticket and any other expenses not covered by the program fee. Consideration to purchase Trip Cancellation insurance coverage is recommended. Refunds for the $195 OEA fee will be at OEA’s discretion.
I am aware that FIU and/or the Honors College reserves the right to cancel study abroad programs. If the program gets canceled once the IDH 4007 course has started, I will continue that course until finished. I will obtain 3 academic credits for it and my tuition for the course taken will not be refunded.
I am aware that by signing up to participate in a study abroad program, I am assuming all the above-mentioned responsibilities, and I am committing to comply with them without further notices.
Education Abroad Participant Contract
- I understand that I am solely responsible for complying with all host country laws and entry requirements, including, but not limited to, vaccine, registration, quarantine, and visa requirements. I am solely responsible for the impact of my failure to comply which may result in a denial of entry or other action and an inability to continue participation in the Program.
- I understand that I must conduct myself in a manner that shows respect and consideration for the host country. I understand that I am subject to dismissal from the Study Abroad program if my behavior is deemed detrimental to the functioning of the program or offensive to the host culture. Disruptive conduct or inappropriate sexual behavior similarly merits dismissal from the Study abroad program. This same behavior may be in violation of and subject to additional discipline under University regulations including, but not limited to, FIU Regulation 2501 entitled the Student Conduct and Academic Honor Code or FIU Regulation 105 entitled Sexual Harassment (Title IX) and Sexual Misconduct.
- Students expecting to earn FIU credit must maintain the same standard of academic work as would be required on the home campus. I am responsible for arriving on time for classes and required meeting and cultural excursions, and for following the program schedule set forth by the FIU Education Abroad program director or accompanying instructor.
- I agree to show courtesy and respect to my fellow group members, my instructor, and host institution. I will not disrupt others who are sharing housing accommodations during the program.
- I understand that the program itinerary/schedule is subject to change, at the discretion of FIU and/or its partner institution.
- If I travel independently during free time while participating in an FIU sponsored program, I will notify my FIU program director or instructor of my whereabouts, and give the names of persons with whom I am traveling not for purposes of supervision, but for purposes of information. I assume responsibility for my personal safety, loss or injury, and conduct when engaging in non-FIU organized travel and/or activities, and release FIU from any and all liability concerning said travel and/or activities.
- I understand that services taken for granted in the US, such as telecommunications, might be more difficult to access when abroad. I also understand that citizens of other countries may be strongly committed to the concept of energy conservation. The cost of electricity is very high. I agree to use electrical appliances with discretion, and hot water (which relies upon electricity) sparingly. Air conditioning should not be expected.
- I understand that, while my in-country program hosts will try to accommodate special requirements (such as vegetarian meals on group outings), I should not expect the same level of ability to meet such requirements/provide special services as at home. I agree to make an effort to adapt to the host culture and customs as much as possible. I understand the inability to receive special accommodations does not entitle me to any refund of fees.
- In other countries, the sale of wine, liquor, and other alcoholic beverages may not be restricted. I am expected to exercise personal responsibility and limit the use of such beverages. I understand that I am subject to disciplinary action, including immediate dismissal from the program or expulsion from FIU, for excessive consumption of said beverages. FIU regulations including, but not limited to FIU Regulation 2501 entitled the Student Conduct and Academic Honor Code or FIU Regulation 105 entitled Sexual Harassment (Title IX) and Sexual Misconduct, govern my behavior while participating in the program.
- The use, possession, or commerce of illegal drugs in any form is in violation of the rules of the program and are likely to also violate the laws of the host country. If I am found with any illegal substances, I understand I will be immediately dismissed from the program, potential discipline and I will be subject to the laws of the host country. FIU regulations including, but not limited to FIU Regulation 2501 entitled the Student Conduct and Academic Honor Code or FIU Regulation 105 entitled Sexual Harassment (Title IX) and Sexual Misconduct, govern my behavior while participating in the program.
- By signing this agreement, I attest to the fact that I am in good health and capable of adapting to the rigors of traveling in a foreign environment. FIU Education Abroad Programs involve a full schedule requiring students to maintain an active pace. An inability to fulfill the requirements of the program may result in my removal or academic penalty.
- I understand that I am responsible for any and all costs arising out of withdrawal from the program before its completion, including withdrawal caused by illness or disciplinary action. Early withdrawal or dismissal may result in academic penalty.
- I understand that as an FIU student, I will be viewed as a representative of my country and my university. I agree to abide by the above stated rules of participation and conduct and to the FIU Student Conduct and Academic Honor Code.
- I understand that I must possess a current passport with at least six (6) months’ validity after the date of the expected return. I understand that I am responsible for obtaining any necessary visas and the consequences of not doing so.
- As an Education Abroad participant, I understand that I may be traveling to or through countries that have security, health, and other risks. Information about the State Department Country Specific Information and Travel Advisories can be found at http://travel.state.gov/travel/ and the Centers for Disease Control Department at http://nwww.cdc.gov/travel. If circumstances change and the State Department issues a travel advisory for any country to which my program is traveling, I understand that FIU may, in its sole discretion, terminate the study abroad program that I am on and require my immediate return to the United States. I agree to fully cooperate, including being responsible for any resulting costs, with FIU if this occurs. FIU will attempt to arrange other academic studies for me so that I can complete that portion of my program. If I refuse to return to the United States when requested due to a program cancellation as described in this paragraph, I understand that my financial aid, travel insurance (which includes medical and political evacuation coverage), and academic credits for the study abroad program may be negatively impacted.
- By embarking on an Education Abroad program, I understand that FIU will assist me with putting me in touch with any necessary resources within its power. However, if the resources are exhausted or outside of FIU’s scope, I will be responsible for my own arrangements and corresponding costs. This includes, but is not limited to, scheduling/rescheduling travel arrangements, booking/cancelling housing, and any necessary transportation. Such accrued expenses from voluntary or involuntary withdrawal from the program will be the sole responsibility of the student.
Overseas Student Participation Agreement and Release and Assumption of Risk
- I shall be bound by and comply with the terms, conditions, and obligations of the Program, including those relating to fee payment, late application, and refund policies. My failure to comply with the terms of the Program or to conduct myself in a fitting manner may result in my involuntary withdrawal from the Program by either FIU or my host institution.
- My participation in the Program is voluntary and is not a requirement of my curriculum at FIU. I have chosen to participate in the Program because of the learning and cultural experiences I will gain through study in a foreign country. I acknowledge that I am neither an agent nor representative of FIU and may not look to the University or the State of Florida for reimbursement of any expenses. I accept full responsibility for all costs and expenses, whether planned or unplanned, associated with my participation in the Program.
- I acknowledge that in the course of my participation in the Program, I may be exposed to risks, some known and some unknown, which may result in property damage or loss, as well as personal or bodily injury which could be painful, permanently disfiguring, debilitating and even fatal. I voluntarily assume full responsibility for all such risks including, but not limited to, sickness, bad weather, pandemics, broken bones, partial and/or total paralysis, other ailments that could cause serious disability, drowning, and/or death. I further expressly assume full responsibility for any risk of bodily injury, death, or property damage due to FIU, FIU Board of Trustees, State of Florida, the Florida Board of Governors, and their respective officer, directors, employees, representatives, trustees, agents, students, and volunteers, or otherwise. It is my responsibility to follow the instructions, guidelines and procedures established by FIU.
- I acknowledge the risk to have contact with individuals who have been exposed to and/or have been diagnosed with one or more communicable diseases, including but not limited to COVID-19 or other medical conditions or diseases does exist, and that it is impossible to eliminate the risk that I could be exposed to and/or become infected through contact with or close proximity with an individual with a communicable disease. I knowingly and voluntarily assume all risks related to exposure to COVID-19 or other medical conditions or diseases.
- I agree and acknowledge that I will have time for, and may engage in personal activities unrelated to the purpose of the Program while I am abroad. Such activities will be at my sole cost, responsibility, and risk. FIU, FIU Board of Trustees, the State of Florida, or the Board of Governors of the State University System of Florida, is not responsible for any personal or property injury, loss, or damage that may result of my participation in activities outside of the Study Abroad Program.
- I, for myself and any others claiming through me, accept full responsibility for my safety and expenses and assume the complete risk of any injury to myself or my property which may arise out of or in the course of my participation in this study abroad program.
- I acknowledge that FIU, the FIU Board of Trustees, the Board of Governors of the State University System of Florida, and the State of Florida and their respective officers, employees, and agents are not responsible for losses or expenses suffered by me due to delays, changes in itinerary, changes in the content of Program study, or other matters. This includes requests to return to the United States due to events including, but not limited to, war, unrest, pandemics, or natural disasters.
- I, for myself, my heirs, executors, administrators, and assigns release, waive, discharge and relinquish, and to hold harmless the State of Florida, the Board of Governors of the State University System of Florida, the FIU Board of Trustees, and FIU, and their respective officers, employees and agents, from and against all claims and causes of action for personal or bodily injury or disfiguration, property damage or loss, wrongful death, loss of services or other claims that may arise from my participation in the Program and its related activities, whether the same should arise by reason of the negligence of anyone participating in the Program or its related activities, or otherwise. I specifically understand that I am releasing, discharging, and waiving any claims or actions that I may have presently or in the future for the acts or negligent acts or other conduct by FIU. I agree that, under no circumstances will I, or anyone claiming through me, prosecute or present any claims for personal or bodily injury, property damage or loss, or wrongful death against the State of Florida, the Board of Governors of the State University System of Florida, the FIU Board of Trustees, or FIU, or their respective officers, employees, and agents.
- I further expressly agree that this Overseas Student Participation Release, Waiver of Liability, and Assumption of Risk is intended to be as broad and as inclusive as the laws of the State of Florida will allow, and that if any portion thereof is held to be invalid, it is agreed that the balance shall, notwithstanding the invalid portion, will continue in full legal force and effect.
- In signing this Overseas Student Participation Release, Waiver of Liability, and Assumption of Risk, I acknowledge and represent: (i) that I have read and understand it; (ii) that I sign it voluntarily and for full and adequate consideration, fully intending to be bound by the same; (iii) that I am giving up substantial rights by signing it; and (iv) that I am at least eighteen (18) years of age and fully competent. I understand that this is a legal document which is binding on me, my heirs, executors, administrators, and assigns and on those who may claim by or through me.
Policies Concerning Prohibited Discrimination, Harassment and Related Misconduct Including Sexual and
Gender-Based Harassment, Sexual Violence, Dating Violence, Domestic Violence, and Stalking and
Florida International University policy applies to all members of the FIU community, including students, faculty, and administrators as well as third-parties (i.e. vendors and invitees). Discrimination or harassment of any kind in regards to a person's sex is not tolerated at our institution. Information and/or training regarding this policy is available to students, faculty, and staff. In addition, this policy in its entirety is available on FIU’s website at FIU-105 Discrimination and Harassment Policy. For more information, visit the Sexual Misconduct and Title IX page.
Discrimination or harassment of any kind is counterproductive to FIU's mission. The University will resolve any identified discrimination in a timely and effective manner, and will work to ensure that it does not recur. Those believing that they have been harassed or discriminated against on the basis of their sex, including sexual harassment, should immediately contact the Title IX and Civil Rights Coordinator, Ryan Kelley, J.D. (email@example.com) or (305) 348-2785. When FIU has notice of an occurrence, FIU is compelled to take immediate and effective corrective action reasonably calculated to stop the harassment, prevent its recurrence, and as appropriate, remedy its effects.
I agree that I have read and understand FIU-105 Policy and I agree to comply with all policies and rules contained therein.